Tuesday, 11 April 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Most Unique Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week's theme was the most unique books you've read, and I had so much fun doing this one!


  1. YOU - Caroline Kepnes


This is the first - and only - book I’ve ever read that was entirely in the second person and I think it was pulled off incredibly well. It’s my go to creepy read that I recommend.


  1. How To Be Both - Ali Smith


I read this recently for a book club my friends and I set up and really really enjoyed it. Ali Smith’s dual narrative is something I’ve never seen done before and it enchanted me.


  1. Er ist wieder da - Timur Vermes


I talk about this book a lot because of how unique it is - come on, it’s a comedy about Hitler waking up in the present day! That may sound troubling, but it makes you question a lot.


  1. Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi


I’ve been raving about this book since I read it in December last year. It’s a book that takes on such a wide scope and managed to engage me all the way through. I still can’t believe it was under 400 pages long.


  1. Grief Is the Thing with Feathers - Max Porter


Is this poetry? Is it a novella? I have no idea. I really enjoyed reading it and I doubt I’m ever going to read anything like it again.



  1. Nutshell - Ian McEwan


In case you don’t know about this book, it’s a retelling of Hamlet. Oh, and did I mention it was narrated by an 8 month old foetus from the womb?


  1. Illuminae - Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff


The thing that sells Illuminae is the format: it’s told through a collection of emails, reports, CCTV transcriptions. Despite all of this, the dramatic story is easy to follow and exciting.


  1. Room - Emma Donoghue


Room is the first book I read which is narrated by a child, and although I’ve read a few others since, I definitely think Room is done the best.


  1. First Love - Gwendoline Riley


Another recent read for me, but I just cannot stop thinking about it. It’s one of the only books I’ve felt so lost for words over after finishing it, even after a few days of dwelling.


  1. Good Me Bad Me - Ali Land


This was one of my most anticipated releases of 2017 and it did not disappoint. Good Me Bad Me is a psychological thriller narrated by a 15 year old who is dealing with the fact that her mother is a serial killer. Have you ever heard of a book that does that? I hadn’t, and I haven’t since.


What are some of the most unique reads you’ve ever read? Have you read any of those mentioned above? Let me know in the comments below!
Happy reading,

Zoe