Monday, 12 December 2016

New-to-me Authors 2016

This was meant as a Top Ten Tuesday post but I got caught up in all things Viennese and forgot to post it (oops!). Nevertheless, it’s a very good topic so I wanted to post my list anyway. 2016 marked my introduction to the book blogging and bookstagramming community, which has meant that I have been introduced to some incredible authors:

  1. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I read Americanah whilst I was away in India, and it immediately made it onto my favourites of 2016 list. I just loved Adiche’s writing and her characters, and since reading Americanah, I’ve been trying to get my hands on anything by her.

  1. Sarah J. Maas

How could SJM not make it onto the list? She gave me two fabulous worlds to escape into when I wasn’t feeling too great whilst living in Germany, and she’s written characters which I never want to leave behind.

  1. V. E. Schwab

I read my first V. E. Schwab book whilst in India on the recommendation of one of my best bookish blogging buddies Anna @ A Literary Potion and I was not disappointed. I started with This Savage Song, which I really enjoyed and I’m currently waiting on tenterhooks for the release of Our Dark Duet. Schwab creates such fantastic and unique worlds, how could I not enjoy?

  1. Leigh Bardugo

I discovered Leigh Bardugo through bookstagram hype and initially read the Grisha trilogy, which although okay, didn’t bowl me over. Then came along Six of Crows, however, and I am now fully invested in her work. Jylan 4eva.
  1. Caroline Kepnes

If you haven’t heard me talk about You, then where have you been? Whilst I didn’t enjoy Hidden Bodies so much, You was such a good thriller read that Kepnes is now on the to-watch list to see what she comes up with next that can make my skin crawl.

  1. rupi kaur

I had no idea rupi kaur is the artist whose photo of her on her period got taken down from Instagram twice! This makes me love her more. I actually discovered her through milk and honey, which was such a good way to kick off my poetry reading path; her writing is so simple, and yet I had many feelings in reaction to it.

  1. All of the writers in The Good Immigrant

Cheating a bit, I know, but there are too many to name! If you haven’t read this book yet, read it. Go buy it for all of your friends and shove it into their hands. Every single one of the pieces in this book were amazing, and at the beginning of each one, I would research the writer and immediately follow them on Twitter so I can keep up with the new stuff they bring out.

  1. Jay Kristoff

With the storm surrounding Gemina’s release this October, I couldn’t resist the draw to The Illuminae Files. Add the hype that surrounded Nevernight and its beautiful cover and you win me over completely. Whilst I haven’t actually read Nevernight yet, I know I’m going to enjoy it. I’ve been following Jay Kristoff on Twitter and he’s really cool, so now he’s firmly on my radar.

  1. Han Kang

The Vegetarian had been on my TBR for ages before I finally read it at the beginning of the month because I had read its summary when it was shortlisted for the Man Booker International Prize, which was something along the lines of “a woman wants to become a tree”. I was immediately hooked, and whilst I wouldn’t say I enjoyed it, it definitely caught my attention and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since putting it down. I would like to read Kang’s other works, and am also keeping up with what Deborah Smith, the translator, is doing.

  1. Sarah Moss

Although I’ve only started The Tidal Zone, I know I’m going to love it. The writing style is beautiful and the idea itself very original. I’ve heard so many good things about Moss’s other fiction books as well as her non-fiction, so a goal for 2017 is to work my way through her backlist.

What authors have been new to you this year? Who will you be making an effort to read more of in 2017?
Happy reading,
Zoe