Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Recommendation TBR


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week’s theme is Books I Read Based on Recommendations. Now, this describes the majority of what I’ve read; if I see enough of a book on Instagram, or people talk about a book all the time, chances are I’ll pick it up. So, for my own twist on this week’s topic I thought I’d share with you the books recommended to me that I have yet to read.


  1. Anything by Neil Gaiman

My boyfriend has read a lot of Neil Gaiman’s work and I want to see why he enjoys it so much. I think I’ll start with The Graveyard Book.


  1. Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

My boyfriend is also a big fan of Terry Pratchett, and my flatmate says that this is his favourite. I’m planning to read this in December to make the most of the wintery Christmassy feelings.


  1. How To Be Both - Ali Smith
  2. The Bees - Laline Paull
  3. Carol Ann Duffy’s poetry

Do you guys have that friend where they could literally put any book into your hands and you’d read it because you trust their recommendations so fully? I do, she’s awesome. These are just a few that she’s spoken to me about recently.


  1. Murder in Mesopotamia - Agatha Christie

This comes from my boyfriend’s mother who knows I LOVE Agatha Christie and this is one of her favourites, so yeah, of course I’m gonna read it.


  1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy - J. R. R. Tolkien

Anna @ A Literary Potion loves the LOTR trilogy, as do many of my friends. I, I’m ashamed to say, have only seen the films. I’m going to have to read the books soon if I want to stay friends with Anna and understand any of the references she makes…


  1. Anything by Maggie O’Farrell

Recently, I attended the Manchester Book Bash and there I got talking to an author about the type of books I like to read and she recommended Maggie O’Farrell. If anyone has any specific recommendations, I’m all ears!


  1. A Whole Life - Robert Seethaler

In German: Ein ganzes Leben. My flatmate read this on his year abroad and really enjoyed it. I’m not sure whether it’s my kind of thing, but it’s in German so I guess I should give it a go.


  1. Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch

A fantasy set in London recommended by my best friend? I’m sold.

If you have any recommendations, please do let me know by commenting below or contacting me through social media!
Happy reading,
Zoe