Monday, 19 September 2016

#DiverseAThon Wrap Up


Hello and happy Monday to you all!

For the last week, I’ve been taking part in a readathon run by Monica, Joce, Whitney, and Christina: the #DiverseAThon. In my original #DiverseAThon TBR post, you can read about the books that I wanted to get to and why, but this post is about my final achievements.

Read


I really enjoyed this read! To begin with, the book is very information-heavy; there is a lot about Pakistan’s short history, its political leaders, and the rise of the Taliban. I didn’t mind this as much as I usually would because I knew so appallingly little about Pakistan, but it was quite obvious to me when I was hearing the ghostwriter instead of Malala’s voice. Overall, it was an enjoyable read about an incredibly inspirational girl.


I was expecting to really enjoy this book and to want to give it to everyone I knew, but in the end it was just an okay read with a few standout essays. All of Gay’s writing clearly comes from the heart, but at times I felt like I wasn’t intelligent enough to be reading the essays - sometimes Gay would say things or ask rhetorical questions and I wasn’t sure whether I was meant to have the answers myself. Also, in the middle of the book there are a few long essays discussing in great detail books I haven’t read and so I felt out of the loop and like I should have read more before reading this collection. However, her essays talking about essential feminism and how she flouts essential feminism were relatable and really got me thinking.


The #DiverseAThon has shown me that it is incredibly easy to read diversely when you try and that I really enjoy reading about different experiences and feelings. Also I have learnt that just because someone is different to me, whether because of race, gender, sexuality etc., this does not make it impossible to relate to them. I will continue to read diversely, but I am also going to try and raise awareness of diverse books, so that hopefully we can all have a diverse reading experience.

Did you participate in the #DiverseAThon? If so, let me know what you read in the comments below so that I can add to my ever-growing TBR!
Love to you all,
Zoe