Sunday, 11 September 2016

#DiverseAThon TBR


In the last week, there’s been some drama in the Booktube and wider book blogging community because of a video - a transcript of which you can read here - about the 'problem' of diversity in books (ew). In response, the book community has truly risen to the occasion and Monica, Joce, Whitney, and Christina have organised an impromptu readathon to celebrate reading and discussing diverse stories and own voices.

The readathon runs from Monday 12th September to Monday 19th September. There are no challenges involved and there are no requirements in terms of what you read beyond explaining why you’ve chosen the books what you’re hoping to learn. If you’d like to participate and/or are looking for diverse recommendations, here is a list of book suggestions. In my last post, I talked about how I’m trying to conquer my TBR, so all of these books (with the exception of one) are books that I have in my possession and haven’t read yet.

This read is perfect timing for the Diverseathon because it’s also the book of the month for the Feminist Orchestra, a book club run by Jean over at Jean Bookishthoughts. It’s Malala’s memoir that begins on the the day that she was shot by the Taliban for speaking out for girls’ education.

Why I want to read it: Malala is so unbelievably inspirational, and I want to know more about her life before the Taliban attack



Other than the fact that it’s a collection of short stories, I don’t know much about this book, but it was given to me by a friend who inspires me and whose book recommendations are always on point.

Why I want to read it: I loved Americanah for its powerfulness and open and direct confrontation with race in America - I’m hoping for a similar experience with these stories


This book is the exception to the ‘already owned’ rule I have imposed on myself for this readathon but it’s been on my radar for so long, and it was available at the library so I couldn’t resist. It’s a collection of essays that explore pop culture, feminism, and Gay’s own experiences as a bisexual woman of colour.

Why I want to read it: I don’t want my feminism to be the white feminism of Amy Schumer and Lena Dunham. I want my feminism to be inclusive.



Nevernight didn’t originally attract me because of its diversity, but rather that beautiful cover along with a reduced hardcover price on Amazon (before the book ban, I might add). Then I came across it on the list above and I was even more psyched about reading it.

Why I want to read it: Diversity! In fantasy!

If you decide to take part in the Diverseathon, don’t forget to let me know and use the hashtag #DiverseAThon! If you can’t take part, there are also going to be Twitter chats (schedule not yet known) which you can also get involved with.

Have a wonderful Sunday!
Love to you all,
Zoe