Tuesday, 9 August 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Desert Island Books

Hello and welcome to another Top Ten Tuesday post! Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week’s theme was Rewind, so I could choose what to do from past TTT topics. I chose to do Desert Island Books so here are 10 books I would like to have with me on a desert island!

  1. A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J. Maas

I am still not over this book. I finished it last week and ever since I’ve just been a ball of emotion when reminded about anything to do with it. I JUST CAN’T GET OVER IT. It might be a bit unusual that it’s a sequel and gets included but it has everything I love about a book and Maas’s writing: fantastic plot, incredibly complex characters, stellar character development, and also steamy sex scenes which are so well done and not like the usual romance books at all.

  1. Queen of Shadows - Sarah J. Maas
Again, another sequel, but this one was also truly excellent. It involved everything that made me fall in love with the Throne of Glass series in the first place, and then just added more amazing things that made me fall in love even more.

  1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone - J. K. Rowling

Who wants to be on a desert island without Harry Potter? Philosopher’s Stone isn’t my favourite HP book but it’s pretty close and would provide a little bit of happiness and nostalgia if everything got a bit overwhelming and sad.

  1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J. K. Rowling

Goblet of Fire would not only provide nostalgia but also provide me with my favourite Harry Potter story, which I only recently realised was this one. I don’t know whether it was because I’d never reread it before but this book just filled me with happiness because it was a little darker than the first 3 but also hadn’t reached the point where Voldemort is ever present and making Harry act like a noob.

  1. Moranifesto - Caitlin Moran

This book would fill many purposes: the different pieces by Moran are comedic, informative, and empowering, often all at once. If I were ever feeling sad, or needed to feel like I had a purpose in life, I could just pick this up and read one article.

  1. Lord of the Flies - William Golding

If you’ve never heard of this book, it’s about a group of children who get stranded on a desert island and would basically act as a warning of what not to do. If I ever felt myself slipping towards violence or unruliness, I would sit myself down and read this book.

  1. Miss Marple and Other Short Stories - Agatha Christie
Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors and this book is massive and mostly filled with her smaller paranormal short stories but also Marple short stories who is my favourite of Christie’s detectives. I feel like thinking about a classic whodunnit would give my mind the necessary exercise after an amount of time on a desert island.

  1. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind - Yuval Noah Harari

This is one of my favourite non-fiction books I’ve ever read because it’s just a comprehensive history of humans which is something I’d been searching for for a while before I found this. I would make it my mission to remember everything that’s included in this book and that would make sure that I kept learning whilst stranding.

  1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

This book isn’t included on this list because I enjoyed it a lot, but rather because it’s connected to a lot of fond memories of my friends and school life. Don’t get me wrong, I like the story, but it’s more the nostalgia connected that does it for me. I read this for my GCSE and my best friend and I once acted out a hypothetical scene and we love the BBC adaptation with the classic Colin Firth coming out of the pond scene. Good memories.

  1. Matilda - Roald Dahl

This book fills me with such joy that it was impossible to leave off. Reading about a character like Matilda at such a young age was incredibly important for me because it showed me that it’s okay to enjoy reading and to bury your head in a book.

What books would you like to have with you if you were stranded on a desert island and why? Let me know in the comments below!

Previous TTT Posts:


Love to you all,
Zoe