Sunday, 22 May 2016

Weekly Wrap Up #6: Book Hangover

Hello wonderful people!

I originally titled this post "Throne of Glass Fangirling" but then I realised halfway through writing it that I was having my first book hangover and that seemed like a more appropriate title. See if you can spot exactly where I realised...

This week has been a bit of a whirlwind. I would ask where my week went, but I know exactly where it went: I spent the whole day in bed on Monday recovering from a horrendous cold and then I was up so long on Thursday night finishing Queen of Shadows that I slept in on Friday until 1pm. Note: it was definitely worth it.

During the week, I realised two things:

  1. Sarah J. Maas is one of my favourite authors, up there with J. K. Rowling and Gillian Flynn. I will happily read anything she writes. She is awesome. I love her.
  2. The Throne of Glass series is one of my favourite series, up there with Harry Potter aaand nothing else. It's literally just those two series. Maybe I should read more series?
I'm planning on writing a post about why I love Maas and her Throne of Glass world so much, so keep an eye out!

Finished

  • Heir of Fire - Sarah J. Maas


Now, a lot of people said that this was their favourite of their books, which worried me because at the time, I was really struggling to get into it. I liked the characters being introduced and the development of the story, but all I wanted was Celaena back in Adarlan to kick ass and see how everybody would react to her return. Celaena was just so broken in Wendlyn, and Rowan was not helping to begin with. I had quite a bad opinion of Rowan to begin with but then their relationship grew (like a proper relationship, might I add) and suddenly BOOM I was enjoying the books. Celaena's magic broke out, she was letting herself build actual friendships with people, and then to top it all there was an epic fight scene, which is always a winner for me. Also, THAT ENDING. If I hadn't have been able to gain access to Queen of Shadows right away, I think I may have driven myself crazy.

  • Queen of Shadows - Sarah J. Maas


THIS BOOK. This is my favourite one of the series so far. There are so many good things about it. 1) Celaena is no longer ruthless and empty but cunning and fierce. 2) Rowan. Oh Rowan. 3) Lysandra - the perfect friend after Nehemia. She is such an incredible and brave character and I think helps mark the difference in Celaena. 4) Dorian and Chaol. 5) The Manon/Elide dynamic.

If I continue writing, then I will just gush about how much I love this book but my final words will be this: I am so glad that we got to see Celaena being happy. 


Started

  • Wie Blut so rot - Marissa Meyer (Scarlet, The Lunar Chronicles #2)


It feels like so long ago that I read Cinder and enjoyed it, and Scarlet has been sitting on my desk just waiting for me to be finished with my Throne of Glass phase. I am sorry, Scarlet. I'm really looking forward to delving into the Lunar universe again, my main worry is just that there will be an overwhelming presence of "it's good, but it's no Throne of Glass" thoughts. GUYS IS THIS A BOOK HANGOVER? I THINK THIS IS A BOOK HANGOVER!? OH NO.

Well this changes things. How am I supposed to deal with this? What is the remedy? What if nothing I ever read again is the same? This is a terrible feeling. Maybe I'll just reread the series again. Sarah J. Maas, you've won this round.

Blog Posts

Okay guys. I'm off to mope in my book hangover hole.
Love to you all, 
Zoe